TODAY'S PAPER
52° Good Evening
52° Good Evening
NewsHealth

Eleven hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak at Bay Shore apartment building, officials say

Building G at the Stone Water Gardens apartment

Building G at the Stone Water Gardens apartment complex in Bay Shore was the scene of a suspected carbon monoxide leak on Sunday, June 21, 2015. Eleven people -- including five children -- were hospitalized, fire officials said. Photo Credit: Anthony Lanzilote

Eleven people -- including five children -- were hospitalized Sunday after a carbon monoxide leak at a Bay Shore apartment building, fire officials said.

Bay Shore Fire Chief John Ippolito Jr. said the department received a call shortly after 11:30 a.m. reporting a carbon monoxide detector going off inside a unit at the Stone Water Gardens apartment complex on Howells Road.

When firefighters surveyed the apartment complex "our [carbon monoxide] meters jumped up," beyond normal levels, Ippolito said.

Firefighters from Bay Shore, Islip, Brentwood and North Babylon evacuated 30 residents from the building -- six adults and five children displayed signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, and were taken to area hospitals with nonlife-threatening conditions such as nausea and headaches, Ippolito said.

"They're very lucky, it could've been a bad Father's Day for many people," Ippolito said of the initial detector going off.

Investigators said the leak came from a basement boiler. Firefighters worked for more than two hours to clear the building of carbon monoxide using smoke-ejector fans, Ippolito said. Residents were allowed to return shortly after 2 p.m.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news