The National Sleep Foundation says there's no "cure" for sleepwalking, but there are things you can try to help prevent the problem and keep the sleepwalker safe:
- Get more rest. A major trigger of sleepwalking is sleep deprivation.
- Avoid alcohol and any medications that tend to trigger sleepwalking episodes.
- Create a consistent and relaxing bedtime routine.
- Make sure the sleep environment is safe. For example, don't allow a child who sleep walks to sleep in a bunk bed.
- Keep doors and windows locked, keep any sharp or breakable objects far from the bed, and place gates above stairways.