The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions:
- Make sure there are always fresh fruit and vegetables readily available for your child.
- Offer your child whole-grain cereals and breads, low-fat dairy and healthier starches such as potatoes, rice and pasta.
- Skip high-fat toppings, such as butter, gravy and sour cream. Instead, top foods with low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat yogurt or Parmesan cheese.
- Feed your child lean, healthy proteins, such as skinless poultry, and lean pork, beef, and fish.
- For dessert, opt for frozen fruit bars or frozen yogurt.
- Use non-stick cooking sprays, margarine and vegetable oils.