The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these winter weather travel safety tips:
- Don't travel when there are weather warnings from the weather service.
- If you cannot avoid travel, make sure you let friends and family know of your planned route and what time you should arrive.
- If you are stranded, move arms and legs but stay with your car. If help is within 100 yards, go for help.
- Make sure others can see you by lifting the hood of your car, keeping the interior light on when the engine is running and putting a bright cloth on your antenna.
- Leave a downwind window open, and only run the engine for 10 minutes of every hour; check to be sure there is nothing blocking the vehicle's tailpipe.