The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these tips for safe use of a high chair:
- Choose a chair that doesn't easily tip over. Any foldable high chair should be locked when in use.
- Always use the restraint straps, including the crotch strap, whenever your child is in the seat.
- Do not let your child stand in the chair, and do not position it close to any desk or counter.
- Don't allow older children to climb or play on a high chair.
- Never leave a young child unattended in a high chair.
- Use a freestanding high chair over one that locks to a table.
- Make sure your child's feet cannot touch the table.