As a result of bacteria found at levels higher than state standards, 10 beaches have been closed — or remain closed — to swimming, Suffolk County health officials said Wednesday.
- Shirley Beach, Shirley
- Lloyd Harbor Village Park Beach, Lloyd Harbor
- Head of the Bay Club Beach, Bay Crest Association Beach, Bay Hills Association Beach, Crescent Beach, all in Huntington Bay
- Tanner Park Beach and Copiague Harbor POA, Copiague
- Lake Ronkonkoma Beach, Islip
- The lake at Peconic Dunes County Park, Southold.
Swimming in such contaminated water “can result in gastrointestinal illness, as well as infections of the eyes, ears, nose and throat,” said Dr. James Tomarken, county health commissioner.
To learn more and stay up to date on affected beaches, residents can call the county’s bathing beach hotline at 631-852-5822.