Overcast 43° Good Evening
Overcast 43° Good Evening

Julio Acevedo, suspect in hit-run deaths of Nachman and Raizy Glauber, charged with negligent homicide

Julio Acevedo is escorted from the 78th Precinct

Julio Acevedo is escorted from the 78th Precinct on his way to Brooklyn court, where he faces a charge of vehicular manslaughter for the alleged hit and run deaths of Raizy and Nachman Glauber. (March 7, 2013) Photo Credit: Errol Anderson

An ex-con was ordered held without bail Thursday night in connection with the hit-and-run that killed a young Brooklyn couple expecting their first child.

Julio Acevedo, 44, was arraigned last night in State Supreme Court in Brooklyn. He was charged with three counts of negligent homicide, three counts of assault in the third degree, one count of leaving the scene of an accident, speeding and reckless driving.

The prosecution argued that Acevedo should be held because he has a long criminal history and is a high flight-risk, noting that the fugitive squad was sent to Pennsylvania, where Acevedo surrendered.

However Acevedo should not be tried in the "court of public opinion," said Kathleen Julian, his defense attorney. "What happened was a horrible accident and not a crime," she said.

Judge Stephen Antignani remanded Acevedo, suspending his driver's license and the case until Wednesday. Acevedo, who wore baggy denims and a bright-blue hooded sweatshirt, spoke only sparingly to the judge at the arraignment.

Acevedo's arrest ended a four-day manhunt and brought a measure of satisfaction to Brooklyn's Satmar Hasidic community in the Williamsburg section, which on Sunday buried Nachman Glauber and his wife, Raizy, both 21, who died in the Sunday morning crash. The couple's son, who was delivered by Caesarean section after the crash, died a day later.

Acevedo, of 177 Sands St., Brooklyn, had spent nearly 10 years in prison in a fatal shooting, authorities said.

In February, Acevedo was charged with driving while intoxicated in an unrelated case and was released without bail, police said. That case is pending.

The crash that killed the Brooklyn couple occurred about 1:30 a.m., police said, as the Glaubers were heading to Long Island College Hospital after Raizy complained she was ill. The livery cab the couple were traveling in was heading west on Wilson Street when it was struck on the driver's side by the black 2010 BMW, which was going north on Kent Avenue at about 60 mph, more than twice the speed limit, police said.

Acevedo fled after the crash, police said, and his surrender was arranged by a friend, Derrick Hamilton. Acevedo surrendered to NYPD detectives Wednesday evening in the parking lot of a minimart in Bethlehem, Pa., about 70 miles west of Manhattan.

At a 10-minute extradition hearing Thursday morning, Acevedo told Judge Kelly Banach of the Lehigh Court of Common Pleas that he wanted to voluntarily return to New York.

With Igor Kossov

More news