TODAY'S PAPER
82° Good Afternoon
82° Good Afternoon
NewsNation

Army warns of steeper cuts in troop numbers

WASHINGTON -- Senior Army officials warned Tuesday they may have to cut more than 100,000 additional soldiers over the next decade unless automatic spending reductions forcing the military services to slash their budgets are stopped.

Testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Army Secretary John McHugh said the losses would undermine the service's ability to be prepared for wartime missions.

"Today we find our Army at a dangerous crossroads," said McHugh.

The Army had planned to trim its ranks from a wartime footing of 570,000 soldiers to 490,000 due to previously planned budget reductions.

But if the automatic cuts, known as sequestration, are extended into future years, tens of thousands more soldiers, including members of the Army National Guard and Reserve, will have to be let go due to a lack of money, he said.

Gen. Ray Odierno, the Army's chief of staff, told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the budget cuts could threaten readiness levels on the Korean peninsula, where military forces remain on high alert after North Korea threatened to attack the United States and South Korea.

Sequestration has forced the cancellation of a series of training exercises intended to help prepare soldiers for possible combat there, he said.

Odierno also said the cut of 100,000 additional troops is a minimum number if sequestration is allowed to continue. "The cuts are simply too steep," he said. -- AP

News Photos and Videos