71° Good Evening
71° Good Evening

At Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's school, classes resume as 'pyrotechnic' is found

The FBI released an image of Dzhokhar A.

The FBI released an image of Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, whom the agency is identifying as the surviving Boston bombings suspect. Credit: FBI

Classes resumed Monday at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth -- the day after the FBI searched the dorm room of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and found a "large pyrotechnic."

The complaint filed by federal prosecutors Monday said the FBI searched 7341 Pine Dale Hall after securing a search warrant. They found "among other things, a large pyrotechnic, a black jacket and a white hat of the same general appearance of those worn by Bomber Two at the Boston Marathon . . . and BBs."

Bomber Two refers to Tsarnaev, one of two brothers shown on videotape planting the bombs that went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon last week, killing three and injuring 176 people.

John Hoey, the university's assistant chancellor for public affairs, confirmed Monday that Tsarnaev was a sophomore there and had been on campus after the bombings.

As students and staff returned to the Dartmouth campus, evacuated Friday morning and reopened Sunday, Tsarnaev was charged with conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction and one count of malicious destruction of property, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Massachusetts.

The charges and the FBI's discovery were news to UMass students Stacie Linfield and Nathaniel Tenreiro, who attended a vigil there for the marathon victims Monday night that brought out more than 300 people.

Tenreiro, 19, of Taunton, said his cousin's girlfriend lost a leg in the blasts. "I figured I'd come out to be supportive of the victims and their families."

Tsarnaev, whose brother, Tamerlan, was killed in a police shootout, could face the death penalty -- which Tenreiro said he supported. "It still wouldn't counteract the proportionality of what he did," he said.

Both students were curious about how Tsarnaev got the items found by the FBI into his dorm. They said that after 5 p.m., they have to swipe a card to get in their dorms and if they are carrying a bag, it is checked.

"I have friends in that building. . . . It does make me nervous," said Linfield, 18, of Norton.

Hoey said the campus was secured on Friday, and could have reopened Saturday except for the suspect's dorm. But officials decided instead to keep the entire university closed until Sunday, so the FBI could continue its work, he said. Tsarnaev's room remains closed.

News Photos and Videos