PHOENIX -- Authorities in southern Arizona were going through neighborhoods Monday to tally the damage from a wildfire that was pushed by fierce winds into a heavily populated area, burning homes and businesses.
The fire came off a mountain Sunday afternoon into the outskirts of Sierra Vista and forced about 3,000 residents of 1,700 homes to flee. The evacuations brought the total number to about 10,000 people from 4,300 homes forced out by the Monument fire.
The blaze began June 12 and had destroyed 44 homes before Sunday.
Much lighter winds yesterday were allowing aircraft to again attack several fires in Arizona and New Mexico. Air crews had been grounded for most of Sunday. Firefighting efforts have been dogged for days by hot, windy weather.
In eastern Arizona, the massive Wallow fire that has been burning for three weeks kept about 200 residents of Luna, N.M., under an evacuation order for a third day.
One of the last areas in Arizona still evacuated was reopening yesterday. Residents of the picturesque resort town of Greer were being issued passes to return home. Early in the day, Greer Fire chief Mark Wade was personally escorting the owners of 22 destroyed homes in first.
Touring the Wallow fire area Saturday, Sen. John McCain said "there was substantial evidence" that some of the fires in southern Arizona may have been started by illegal immigrants and tighter border security would have prevented them.
Yesterday, his office issued a clarification, saying he was not referring to the eastern Arizona blaze. "For years, federal, state and local officials have stated that smugglers and illegal immigrants have caused fires on our southern border," said a statement from Brooke Buchanan, McCain's communications director.
Federal officials have said all the fires were caused by humans, but have not determined whether activity by illegal immigrants was responsible.