71° Good Evening
71° Good Evening

Developments in the Boston Marathon bombings probe

Richard Donohue Jr., left, and Sean Collier pose

Richard Donohue Jr., left, and Sean Collier pose together for a photo at their 2010 graduation from the Municipal Police Officers' Academy. Credit: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority

Newsday is providing continuous updates about the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing.


WILMINGTON, Mass. — A vigil has been held in Massachusetts for an MIT police officer authorities say was shot and killed by the alleged Boston Marathon bombers.

Hundreds turned out Saturday night in Wilmington to honor 26-year-old Sean Collier, who grew up in the town about 15 miles north of Boston.

Authorities say Collier was shot in his cruiser Thursday night on the MIT campus in Cambridge. He lived in Somerville and was preparing to become a police officer in that city.

The Boston transit agency on Sunday released a photo of Collier with Richard Donohue, the 33-year-old transit police officer who remains hospitalized after authorities said was seriously wounded in a gun battle with the bombing suspects.

The photo was from a 2010 graduation ceremony at the Municipal Police Officers' Academy.



The governor of Massachusetts says he has no idea what motivated the terrorists who exploded two bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Speaking Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation," Deval Patrick said it's hard to imagine why someone would deliberately harm, quote "innocent men, women and children in the way that these two fellows did."

Patrick also said law enforcers believe the immediate threat ended when the police killed one of the alleged terrorists and captured the other. The two men were brothers whose family had come to the U.S. from Russia.

Three people were killed and more than 180 injured when two bombs, apparently fashioned out of pressure cookers, exploded Monday about four hours into the race.



A doctor involved in treating the Boston Marathon bombing suspect who died in a gunbattle with police says he had injuries head to toe and all limbs intact when he arrived at the hospital.

Dr. David Schoenfeld says 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev was unconscious and had so many penetrating wounds that it isn't clear which ones killed him. The doctor says a medical examiner will have to determine the cause of death.

Schoenfeld says the suspect was in cardiac arrest and lost a pulse as soon as he arrived at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center following a shootout with police in the Boston suburb of Watertown early Friday. Doctors tried numerous treatments for about 15 minutes before pronouncing him dead.

The doctor said "we did everything we could" to try to save his life.



According to hospital spokesman Jerry Berger, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev remains at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, in the Longwood neighborhood of Boston, Saturday morning. He declined to provide any additional information.

But a federal law enforcement source told Newsday that the surviving suspect remains in serious condition.

He has not yet been questioned, the source said, because of the severity of his injuries.

"He lost some blood," from either a gunshot wound or explosives debris that struck him during the brothers' assault on cops, the source said.

Except to say the surviving bomber is in custody, Special Agent Daniel Curtin of the FBI's Boston office declined to comment on Tsarnaev's condition, whether he's been Mirandized or what criminal charges would be filed.

The American Civil Liberties Union says it's concerned the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect will be questioned by investigators without being read his Miranda rights, according to The Associated Press.

U.S. officials say a special interrogation team for high-value suspects will question Tsarnaev without reading him his Miranda rights, the AP said, invoking a rare public safety exception triggered by the need to protect the public from immediate danger.

ACLU executive director Anthony Romero says the exception applies only when there's a continued threat to public safety and is "not an open-ended exception" to the Miranda rule, AP said.



Saturday morning, just hours after the nation's most wanted man -- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev -- was captured hiding in a backyard boat, bloodied and injured from two gunfights during the manhunt unleashed after he and his brother set off two bombs at Monday's Boston Marathon, the FBI issued a statement about its earlier investigation of bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, killed in one of the gunfights.

"Once the FBI learned the identities of the two brothers today [Friday], the FBI reviewed its records and determined that in early 2011, a foreign government asked the FBI for information about Tamerlan Tsarnaev. The request stated that it was based on information that he was a follower of radical Islam and a strong believer, and that he had changed drastically since 2010 as he prepared to leave the United States for travel to the country's region to join unspecified underground groups," the FBI said in a written statement.

"In response to this 2011 request, the FBI checked U.S. government databases and other information to look for such things as derogatory telephone communications, possible use of online sites associated with the promotion of radical activity, associations with other persons of interest, travel history and plans, and education history. The FBI also interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and family members. The FBI did not find any terrorism activity, domestic or foreign, and those results were provided to the foreign government in the summer of 2011. The FBI requested but did not receive more specific or additional information from the foreign government."

According to a federal law enforcement source, that foreign country is Russia.

Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford) is asking the Obama administration for a classified intelligence briefing after the FBI revealed on Friday that it had questioned one of the suspects in the Boston bombing two years ago but found no links to terrorism.

Special Agent Daniel Curtin, of the FBI's Boston office, declined to say Saturday morning what would happen with the dead brother's body.



The mother of the woman who was married to the deceased Boston Marathon bombings suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev said Saturday afternoon the family's connection to the terror attack and ensuing media onslaught is overwhelming and difficult.

Judith Russell, a nurse, whose eldest daughter, Katherine, was married to Tamerlan Tsarnaev, spoke briefly about 12:30 p.m. outside her home in North Kingstown, R.I.

"This is overwhelming," said Judith Russell, as she ferried Target bags filled with groceries from her car into the house.

She declined to answer questions about Tsarnaev, but said the situation has been "difficult" for the family.

A Providence attorney hired Saturday to represent the family said Katherine is "with her mom" and her 21/2-year-old daughter.

"It's absolutely shocking for them to be caught up in this," said Amato A. DeLuca, the family's lawyer. "It's quite devastating."

DeLuca said there was "no indication" that Tsarnaev could have terrorism leanings -- "none whatsoever," he said.



Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center spokesman Jerry Berger, said Saturday morning that 11 patients remain hospitalized there, in the Longwood section of Boston, following the marathon bombing on Monday. Others among the original 24 who were admitted there have been discharged or transferred.

Of those who remain, he said, one is in "serious" condition, one is in "fair" condition and nine are in "good" condition, though he declined to characterize those designations.



Leah Flynn, 36, who has lived on Franklin Street for about 21/2 years, said she had left Watertown after the shelter ban was first lifted, returning late Friday night, after the manhunt had ended.

"It is unbelievable he was at the end of the street," she said Saturday morning about the manhunt that ended Friday night when Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was taken into custody on hers street.

Flynn also works at MIT, and said she knew the campus police officer, Sean Collier, who police say was killed by the bombing suspects Thursday night. She said he was a colleague she would see in meetings because she works in the student activity office.

"I am sick about that," she said.

Flynn said she awoke up Saturday morning and thought "did this really happen?"

Her fiancé, Jeff Gallant, 33, said of the owner of the boat where the suspect was found: "He is one of the heroes in all of this."

Many people at the scene expressed relief early Saturday that the suspect was caught.

Stephen Depamphilis, 53, a Watertown native who lives about quarter-mile from the boat owner's home, said he spent all of Friday in the house with his three adult children and his wife, Tammy.

About 6 p.m., he said, the shelter ban was lifted, allowing he and his family to leave the house.

"We were really nervous because they hadn't found him," Depamphilis said.

But he said they had gone outside to get a little fresh air when suddenly police descended on the street from all directions.

From his home, which has a view of the home where the boat was, he could hear gunshots. He said he heard officials on megaphones calling for the suspect to come out. Within an hour and a half, he said, it was all over.

"The next thing we knew, we heard cheering," he said. "We feel great. We are just happy we are all safe."

News Photos and Videos