WASHINGTON: New charges for 9/11 five
Military prosecutors have refiled terrorism and murder charges against the accused mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and four other men under a revamped trial process at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the Pentagon said Tuesday. The charges against Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the others allege they were responsible for planning the attacks that sent hijacked commercial jets slamming into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania, killing nearly 3,000 people. The five were charged previously in the attacks, but those charges were dropped in 2009 when the Obama administration hoped to close the U.S. detention facility in Cuba and do away with Bush-era military commissions for terror suspects. The other alleged co-conspirators are Waleed bin Attash, a Yemeni who allegedly ran an al-Qaida training camp in Afghanistan and researched flight simulators and timetables; Ramzi Binalshibh, a Yemeni who allegedly helped find flight schools for the hijackers; Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali, accused of helping nine hijackers travel to the United States and sending them $120,000 for expenses and flight training; and Mustafa Ahmad al-Hawsawi, a Saudi accused of helping them with money, clothing, traveler's checks and credit cards.
THE DAKOTAS: 2 rivers threaten to overflow
Crews raced approaching floodwaters Tuesday to complete emergency levees to protect the capital, Pierre, and two towns as the swollen Missouri River rolled downstream from the Northern Plains. In North Dakota, the mayor of Minot ordered a quarter of the city's residents to evacuate areas along the flooding Souris River.
MISSOURI: List of missing decreases
Fewer than a dozen people remain unaccounted for after the tornado that hit Joplin last week. Missouri Department of Public Safety Deputy Director Andrea Spillars said Tuesday that 10 people remain missing. Two new names were added to the missing list, but four people removed when found to be alive.