WHITE PLAINS -- The two sides are still talking, but there's been no plea bargain for a man accused of making death threats on Facebook against prominent politicians.
The case against Lawrence Mulqueen of Nanuet was put off yesterday until May 16 after his attorney said in federal court that talks toward a plea agreement were continuing. The judge had already allowed a month for talks.
Mulqueen, 50, is accused of threatening the lives of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), and members of the Congressional Black Caucus.
Investigators said that in Facebook postings, he predicted a "dirt nap" for the politicians and wrote "I cannot wait to start killing" them. The indictment does not name the targets, but police listed the politicians' names when Mulqueen was arrested in February.
Police found two rifles and other weapons in his Nanuet apartment. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
Defense attorney Jason Ser said outside the court that the case would not necessarily end with a settlement. Mulqueen did not speak in court. He is being held without bail at the Westchester County jail.
Besides the federal death-threat charges, he is accused in state court of criminal weapon possession.-- AP