RALEIGH, N.C. -- The woman who falsely accused three Duke lacrosse players of raping her in 2006 was charged Monday with murder in the death of her boyfriend.
Crystal Mangum, 32, was indicted on a charge of first-degree murder and two counts of larceny. She has been in jail since April 3, when police charged her with assault in the stabbing of Reginald Daye, 46. He died after nearly two weeks in a hospital.
Mangum accused the lacrosse players of raping her at a 2006 party for which she was hired to perform as a stripper. The North Carolina attorney general eventually declared the players innocent of a "tragic rush to accuse." The district attorney who championed Mangum's claims was disbarred.
Last year, Mangum was convicted on misdemeanor charges after setting a fire that nearly torched her home with her three children inside. She told police she got into a confrontation with her boyfriend at the time -- not Daye -- and burned his clothes, smashed his car windshield and threatened to stab him.
Friends said Mangum has never recovered from the stigma brought by the lacrosse case and has been involved in a string of questionable relationships in an attempt to provide stability for her children.
A federal judge recently ruled that the three players accused of rape -- Collin Finnerty of Garden City, Reade Seligmann and Dave Evans -- can pursue a lawsuit against former District Attorney Mike Nifong and the police investigators who handled their case. -- AP