A-Rod’s ready to put his cards on the table.
Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez “looks forward” to talking with Major League Baseball as it probes allegations he played in high-stakes Hollywood poker games filled with drug use and violence, according to a statement by his spokesman Richard Rubenstein Thursday.
"The story contains numerous factual inaccuracies and Alex looks forward to cooperating with MLB in their investigation," he said.
Star Magazine reported that Rodriquez, 36, played at least twice, once losing thousands of dollars. A Radaronline.com story said cocaine was “openly used” at games and a fight broke out at one. Rodriguez isn’t alleged to have used drugs or been involved in the violence.
The games reportedly took place in November 2009.
The MLB said it takes the allegations “very seriously” and that the commissioner’s office plans to interview Rodriguez as part of its investigation. An unnamed insider told ESPNNewYork.com that a possible suspension “would be very much in play,” because Rodriguez had been warned about illegal gambling in the past.
Rodriguez, who is expected to return to the team this month after having knee surgery in July, has previously denied the accusations, and at least gambler present at the games said the star third baseman wasn’t there.
“A-Rod was not at that game,” Dan Bilzerian, a pro card player, told the Daily News. “He was playing in the World Series at the time."