Overcast 33° Good Morning
Overcast 33° Good Morning
NewsNew York

‘Blind Sheik,’ mastermind of 1993 WTC attack, dies

Omar Abdel-Rahman in April 2006. He died in

Omar Abdel-Rahman in April 2006. He died in prison Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017. Photo Credit: AFP Getty Images / Don Emmert

Gama’a alIslamiyaGama’a alIslamiya

Omar Abdel-Rahman, the so-called Blind Sheik convicted of plotting terror attacks in the United States in the 1990s, died Saturday in a federal prison where he was serving a life sentence. He was 78.

Abdel-Rahman, who had diabetes and coronary artery disease, died at 5:40 a.m., said Kenneth McKoy of the Federal Correction Complex in Butner, North Carolina. The inmate had been at the complex for seven years.

A daughter, Asmaa, announced his death in a series of Arabic-language tweets: “We are saddened by your departure, father,” she wrote.

Abdel-Rahman was a key spiritual leader for a generation of Islamic militants and became a symbol for radicals during two decades in American prisons.

Blind since infancy from diabetes, Abdel-Rahman was the leader of one of Egypt’s most feared militant groups, Gama’a al-Islamiya, which led a campaign of violence aimed at bringing down ex-President Hosni Mubarak.

Abdel-Rahman fled Egypt to the United States in 1990 and began teaching in a New Jersey mosque. A group of his followers were convicted in the Feb. 26, 1993, truck bombing of New York’s World Trade Center that killed six people — eight years before al-Qaida’s suicide plane hijackers brought the towers down.

Two Long Islanders were among those killed in the 1993 bombing: Valley Stream resident John DiGiovanni, 45, who was visiting the building, and Monica Rodriguez Smith, 35, of Seaford, an expectant mother who worked at the World Trade Center as a secretary.

Later in 1993, Abdel-Rahman was arrested by authorities who accused him and others of conspiring to wage a string of bombings against the United Nations and other New York landmarks, including the George Washington Bridge and the Lincoln and Holland tunnels.

But since his imprisonment, Abdel-Rahman’s influence had been seen more as symbolic than that of a practical leader. His , which led a wave of violence in the 1990s, was crushed a decade ago, and its leaders, jailed in Egypt, declared a truce.

Abdel-Rahman’s activities predated Osama bin Laden’s formation of al-Qaida in the late 1990s. But he was an influential figure in the generation of Islamic extremists that emerged from Egypt over the past two decades.

While Abdel-Rahman was the spiritual leader of , his longtime associate from Egyptian militant circles, Ayman al-Zawahri, was a leader of the Islamic Jihad militant group, whose experienced fighters he later allied with bin Laden’s riches to form al-Qaida. Al-Zawahri is now leader of al-Qaida.

The two groups shared an ideology rejecting the governments of Egypt and other Arab countries as infidels that must be brought down by force. Between 1990 and 1996, they carried out a wave of attacks on Western tourists, Egyptian police and Coptic Christians until a heavy-handed government crackdown largely shattered them.

Born in the Egyptian Nile Delta village of al-Gamalia in 1938, Abdel-Rahman was blind by the age of 10 months. Still, he said in his autobiography that he memorized Islam’s holy book, the Quran, by age 11.

He attended Cairo’s Al-Azhar University, a center of Islamic scholarship and then began preaching as an imam in a mosque in the oasis of Fayyoum, an agricultural area just south of Cairo.

He quickly ran into trouble as he turned toward a radical “takfir” ideology — a radical interpretation of Islam that holds that those who don’t follow a strict version of Islamic Sharia law are “kafirs” or “infidels.”

After the death of Egyptian President Gamal Abdel-Nasser in 1970, he told followers not to pray for the soul of the leader of secular Arab nationalism because he was an infidel. That got him 8 months in prison.

After the 1981 assassination of President Anwar Sadat by Islamic militants, Abdel-Rahman was jailed and accused of sanctioning the killing. He was later acquitted.

Before moving to the United States, Abdel-Rahman traveled to Afghanistan and Pakistan, where he became a spiritual leader for the mujahedeen, then fighting Soviet troops with help from the Central Intelligence Agency.

Abdel-Rahman arrived in the United States in 1990, even though he was on a list of suspected terrorists and thus banned from the country. He was given permanent residence status under the name Omar Ahmed Ali.

More news