60° Good Afternoon
60° Good Afternoon
NewsNew York

Bloody weekend on the subway tracks


amny Photo Credit: amny

A man pushed onto subway tracks on Saturday was able to leave the station with his life during a grisly weekend that saw four unrelated train deaths.

The victim was shoved onto the tracks during a struggle with a mugger that started on an E train and spilled out onto the Lexington Avenue-53rd Street station platform at 10:30 p.m., police said. The mugger fled with the man’s iPhone as bystanders helped the victim off the tracks before another train could roll through the station.

He was taken to Weill Cornell Medical Center with a broken leg and ruptured ear drum, the NYPD said. Police said the suspect is a man between 20 and 25 years old, and was wearing a black shirt, track pants and a black baseball cap.

Meanwhile, four people were killed on the tracks this weekend.

In the Bronx, 22-year-old Francisco Diego was fatally run over by a No. 2 train early Saturday morning around 1 a.m. at the Wakefield-241st Street station. Diego was reportedly on the tracks to get his dropped iPhone.

An apparently suicidal 45-year-old man was decapitated by an M train Friday evening at 9:20 p.m. near the elevated Seneca Avenue station. The man was lying on the track bed when the Queens-bound train hit him, taking off his head, which fell through the tracks and onto the street, according to the NYPD. The motorman told police that he pulled the emergency break in a failed attempt to avoid him.

On Friday, a man died when he was run over by a southbound E train at the West 23rd Street station shortly around 5:30 a.m., according to an FDNY spokesman.

Hours earlier in the Bronx, around 2 a.m., a 50-year-old man who jumped in front of a northbound No. 2 train got pinned between a subway car and the platform. He was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the FDNY spokesman said.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news