Investigators have spotted a Boston Marathon bombing suspect from security video taken before two blasts ripped through central Boston on Monday, a U.S. law enforcement source said Wednesday, in what is potentially the biggest break in the case yet.
No arrests had been made, and the suspect in the video had not been identified by name, two U.S. government officials said.
The explosions at the Boston Marathon finish line killed three people and injured 176 others in the worst attack on U.S. soil since 9/11.
The bombings, as well as the mailing of letters containing the poison ricin to President Barack Obama and Republican Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi, have created a climate of uncertainty in the country.
The FBI said Wednesday it had arrested Paul Kevin Curtis, of Corinth, Miss., in connection with the letters.
Earlier the agency had said there was no indication of a connection between the ricin letters and the Boston bomb attacks, but they reminded Americans of anthrax mail attacks the country in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.
Nerves were jolted further by an inaccurate report on CNN that a suspect had been arrested in the Boston bombings.
Shortly after CNN retracted its report, security officials at Boston’s federal courthouse ordered an evacuation due to a security scare. The courthouse reopened an hour later.
The bombs in Boston killed an 8-year-old boy, Martin Richard; a 29-year-old woman, Krystle Campbell, and a Boston University graduate student and Chinese citizen, Lu Lingzi.
The crowded scene along the race course in Boston on Monday was recorded by surveillance cameras and media outlets, providing investigators with significant video of the area before and after the blasts.
Obama is due to speak at a memorial in Boston scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. Thursday.