A Michigan couple who won a free stay at the Waldorf-Astoria claim the trip came with an unexpected price — bedbugs that hitched a ride with them back home.
Christine and David Drabicki, both 44, stayed in the East Side hotel for three nights in May, and after the first night they awoke to bloody sheets and bites on their bodies, attorney Alan Schnurman said Thursday in announcing a lawsuit seeking unspecified damages against the hotel.
They were moved to a luxury suite but the bloody sheets and bites continued, eventually following them back to Michigan, where the couple’s two daughters, ages 10 and 12, were bitten, he said. Christine Drabicki suffered about 200 bites.
The trip was a gift from Allstate insurance, where David Drabicki is a top salesman.
“Christine is depressed, she’s humiliated, she’s ostracized from the community,” Schnurman said. “Even her father refuses to come to her home. It’s been a nightmare.”
He added that the family vacated their home for six weeks while it was exterminated, running up a bill of $8,000.
Hilton Worldwide, which owns the Waldorf, said in a statement that the initial room was taken out of service “immediately” and both rooms “tested negative by a licensed technician.”
This is the third bedbug complaint against the hotel this year.
Last month, a Long Island woman sued on similar claims, and a Florida woman said she also had bedbugs there in September, but hasn’t sued. In both cases, the hotel denied finding any bedbugs.