The hotel maid accusing former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn of sexual assault has broken her silence to stand by her accusations and say the French power player deserves jail.
In a Newsweek cover story and in interviews with ABC News released Monday, the maid, Nafissatou Diallo, 32, said Strauss-Kahn assaulted her and forced her to perform oral sex when she entered his Sofitel hotel room in Manhattan to clean on May 14.
“I want him to go to jail," Diallo told Newsweek. "I want him to know there are some places you cannot use your power, you cannot use your money.”
Diallo, an immigrant from Guinea, said she was nervous about losing her job and later feared for her life when she made her accusation against Strauss-Kahn, 62, who until the scandal was seen as the frontrunner for France's upcoming presidential election.
Her case was shaken earlier this month when prosecutors told Strauss-Kahn's attorneys that the prosecution had reason to believe Diallo told authorities numerous lies.
In the interviews, Diallo acknowledges certain lies about her past, but insists her story is true and that she was not motivated by the politician’s wealth, as reports have suggested.
Strauss-Kahn was freed from house arrest without bail and a court date has been pushed back to allow prosecutors more time to evaluate the case. He has pleaded not guilty.
DNA evidence essentially confirms the encounter, but Strauss-Kahn's attorneys have hinted that they might argue it was consensual. They dismissed the Newsweek story.
"Its obvious purpose is to inflame public opinion against a defendant in a pending criminal case," they said in a statement.