Good Evening
Good Evening
NewsNew York

Family of Mount Vernon man killed in police shooting won't meet with mayor, top brass

The NYPD said a replica weapon carried by

The NYPD said a replica weapon carried by a suspected illegal gun salesman was found in his possession after an undercover police shooting in Mount Vernon on Friday, Aug. 28, 2015. Credit: DCPI

The family of a Mount Vernon man accidentally shot and killed by an undercover NYPD officer last week has declined to meet with either Mayor Bill de Blasio or Police Commissioner William Bratton, the commissioner said Monday.

Felix Kumi, 61, was killed on Friday after the undercover officer fired at a suspect who had just robbed the officer during an undercover gun buy, officials said. Kumi, an innocent bystander, had been standing behind the suspect, police said.

Bratton said the department and the mayor's office have offered to help Kumi's family in any way they could.

"The family has asked that they not receive either the mayor or myself at this time," Bratton told reporters.

He added that community affairs officers, including Bureau Chief Joanne Jaffe, were expected to visit the family late Monday.

Kumi's death occurred during an undercover gun-buying operation that began in the Bronx.

One of the suspects in that operation, Jeffrey Aristy, 28, of the Bronx, unexpectedly asked the undercover officer to drive him to a location just over the city line in Mount Vernon, police said.

It was there, according to investigators, that a second suspect entered the car, put what was described by police as a replica handgun to the undercover cop's head and demanded his money.

The armed suspect, an unidentified 37-year-old New Jersey man, then fled in the car with the undercover officer in pursuit, police said.

The officer fired several times after the suspect pointed the replica gun at the officer, striking both the suspect and Kumi, officials said.

Kumi later died of his wounds at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx.

The wounded suspect, who was struck three times in the torso, remained in serious condition Monday. Aristy was arrested and faces several felony charges, court records indicate. He is due back in court Thursday.

Bratton said the NYPD's newly formed force-investigation division was expected to produce a report on the shooting shortly, in cooperation with the Westchester County district attorney's office.

Westchester prosecutors have taken over investigation of the case under the direction of the New York State attorney general's office, Bratton said.

More news