TODAY'S PAPER
68° Good Afternoon
68° Good Afternoon
NewsNew York

Fire outside Midtown office sends three people to the hospital

Con Ed

Con Ed Photo Credit: Con Edison workers after a fire from their cables was put out Thursday (Marc Beja)

Cables caught fire outside a Midtown office building Thursday afternoon, causing hundreds of people to be evacuated amid concerns of smoke inhalation and elevated carbon monoxide levels, officials said.

Three people who worked in the building, which has entrances on 33rd and 34th Streets between 8th and 9th avenue, were taken to Bellevue Hospital for what fire officials described as minor cases of smoke inhalation. More than 20 others were checked at the scene by EMS workers.

FDNY Battalion Chief Joseph Ferrante said approximately 20 fire units were on the scene, and were asked to put out the burning fire on the sidewalk on 33rd Street.

A Con Ed spokesman said the fire was likely the result of “an overheating situation,” but said an investigation was ongoing.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news