Cables caught fire outside a Midtown office building Thursday afternoon, causing hundreds of people to be evacuated amid concerns of smoke inhalation and elevated carbon monoxide levels, officials said.
Three people who worked in the building, which has entrances on 33rd and 34th Streets between 8th and 9th avenue, were taken to Bellevue Hospital for what fire officials described as minor cases of smoke inhalation. More than 20 others were checked at the scene by EMS workers.
FDNY Battalion Chief Joseph Ferrante said approximately 20 fire units were on the scene, and were asked to put out the burning fire on the sidewalk on 33rd Street.
A Con Ed spokesman said the fire was likely the result of “an overheating situation,” but said an investigation was ongoing.