Holiday shopping hits full speed on Black Friday, and while everybody wants something different, there are some items that are in high demand.
According to Steve Beck, founder of the technology consulting company cg42 and an industry expert, tech gifts skyrocketed in popularity in the past four years.
“The industry has sort of captured the imagination of the American consumer,” Beck said.
“And the interesting thing is, that the industry in general and some of the major players” such as Apple and Google, he said, “have shown that technology can do what it historically did not do: span age ranges.”
The National Retail Federation found supporting evidence in the results of a recent study. According to the NRF, tablets/iPads and smartphones are the 11th most-popular gifts for young girls this year, and Xbox One and PlayStation 4 were the fifth and sixth most-desired gifts among young boys, respectively.
While some gift items retain popularity over the years, others are particularly hot this season, including some non-tech items. In no particular order, here are some of this year’s most in-demand items (with their retail prices), predicted by Beck and Marshal Cohen, chief industry analyst at the NPD Group:
1. PlayStation 4 ($399)
2. Xbox One ($499)
3. iPhone 5c ($549-$649) and 5s ($649-$849)
4. iPad Air (from $499)
5. Leather phone and tablet covers/cases (varies by size and brand)
6. Nike+ FuelBand smart wristband ($149)
7. Fitbit smart wristbands ($99.95-$129.95)
8. Cashmere sweaters (by Bloomingdale’s crew neck, regular price $148, $89 with 30% off Black Friday savings, lasting through Sunday. Take an additional $25 off from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Black Friday.)
9. Ugg (women’s classic, $155)
10. “Our Moment” One Direction Eau de Parfum Spray (3.4-ounce, $59.50, available at Macy’s and Macys.com)