Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein will not be prosecuted over allegations that he groped a 22-year-old Italian model last month, prosecutors said Friday.
A spokeswoman for Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. said in a statement that the allegations were taken seriously by the sex crimes unit.
"After analyzing the available evidence, including multiple interviews with both parties, a criminal charge is not supported," said the spokeswoman, Joan Vollero.
"We are pleased this episode is behind us," said Risa Heller, a spokeswoman for Weinstein.
The model told police that Weinstein, a father of five who is married to British actress and fashion designer Georgina Chapman, touched her breast and tried to put his hand up her dress during a March 27 meeting at his Greenwich Street office in Manhattan.
The woman said she met Weinstein the previous day at Radio City Music Hall and he invited her to his office to see her modeling portfolio, police said.
Police obtained statements from Weinstein and the woman, and reviewed a security video showing her entering the office at about 6 p.m. that evening, and leaving a half-hour later.
According to a police source, the woman's credibility was called into question when she initially denied knowledge of a relationship she had with a 70-year-old man who had paid some of her living expenses.
David Godosky, the woman's attorney, didn't return a call seeking comment.