48° Good Afternoon
48° Good Afternoon
NewsNew York

Man charged with killing aspiring NY dancer

GOSHEN, N.Y. - A sex offender was charged Wednesday with killing an aspiring dancer who vanished two years ago after leaving a New York City nightclub with him.

An indictment charges Michael Mele with murder, manslaughter and evidence tampering in the death of Laura Garza, 25, of Brooklyn.

He's accused of killing her in Orange County, northwest of New York City. Garza's skeletal remains were found in April in the woods in Mount Cobb, Pa.

One of the evidence tampering counts alleges Mele committed an act of "concealment, alteration or destruction" involving her body.

Garza had been missing since Dec. 3, 2008, when surveillance cameras at the Manhattan nightspot Marquee caught her leaving with Mele. They were also seen a couple of hours later a few miles from Mele's home in Wallkill.

Mele, always the prime suspect, is already serving time for violating his parole as a sex offender. A call to defense lawyer John Ingrassia was not immediately returned.

"We're pleased with the result," Garza's cousin Isela Villalobos of McAllen, Texas, said by phone. "It's been two long years. There's a sense of relief that the New York State Police department and the district attorney have done their job. We think about her every day. This . . . will be another difficult Christmas."

Mele had several sex-offense convictions in New York and was wanted in New Jersey for similar crimes. He was denied release in March by a board that cited his "history of sexually deviant behavior." Mele refused to talk as he became the focus of the investigation. He was quickly locked up on a parole violation, and a body check revealed scratches and a possible bite mark on him.

At his apartment, police found patches of carpet that had been cut away. They searched his vehicle and carried away bags of evidence for testing.

But there was no sign of Garza, who had dreams of becoming a dancer. She had moved to New York City from McAllen five months before she disappeared.

As many as 200 firefighters, police officers and volunteers spent days searching in Orange and Sullivan counties upstate. Officers looked through Mele's apartment complex, the woods and fields around it, septic systems and trash bins, and the roads and highways nearby. Divers went under the ice covering a lake.

Garza's brothers, Ivan and Nicolas, came east from Texas and posted "missing" signs with their sister's picture. When the search reached the one-month and one-year marks, they held vigils for her in Manhattan.

Hope that Garza would be found alive gradually evaporated.

On April 11, 2010, a group of ATV riders found what police described as "an intact skeleton" in Mount Cobb, Pa., several miles outside of Scranton.

Police said a watch Garza was wearing when she disappeared was found on the remains.

The cause of death was not made public.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news