76° Good Evening
76° Good Evening
NewsNew York

Suspected Boston bombers' sister faces NYC charges

Ailina Tsarnaev is pictured in a photo supplied

Ailina Tsarnaev is pictured in a photo supplied by Tsarnaev family friend Britney Smith. Credit: Handout

The sister of the suspected Boston Marathon bombers surrendered to police Wednesday after she threatened a woman who has a child with her boyfriend, the NYPD said.

Ailina Tsarnaeva, 24, who lives in North Bergen, New Jersey, made the threatening phone call Monday to the victim, who lives in Harlem, Lt. Paul Ng, an NYPD spokesman, said Wednesday.

"I have people that can go over there and put a bomb on you," Tsarnaeva said, according to police.

She was charged with aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor, after turning herself in at the 30th Precinct in Harlem about 2 p.m., Ng said. She was processed and released, Ng said.

Police said Tsarnaeva is due in court Sept. 30.

Federal officials have charged that Tsarnaeva's brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev planted and detonated two pressure-cooker bombs that killed three people and injured at least 260 others near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon.

Her other brother, Tamerlan, was killed in a shootout with police days after the bombings.

Dzhokhar has pleaded not guilty to terrorism charges. He could face the death penalty if convicted. His trial is scheduled to begin Nov. 3.

The two men were identified by authorities and relatives as ethnic Chechens from southern Russia who had been in the United States for more than decade and were believed to have been living in Cambridge, just outside of Boston.

Authorities said Dzhokhar and Tamerlan killed an MIT officer, Sean Collier, severely wounded another law enforcement official and hurled explosives at police in their getaway attempt.

Days after the bombings, Dzhokhar was found bloodied in a backyard boat in Watertown, Massachusetts, weakened by a gunshot wound.

At one point, Tamerlan was run over by his brother in a car as he lay wounded.

The search for the brothers paralyzed the city and caused panic among many Boston-area residents.

More news