Broken Clouds 28° Good Morning
Broken Clouds 28° Good Morning
NewsNew York

Monroe man fatally stabbed after West Indian Day Parade

A Monroe man was fatally stabbed Sunday in

A Monroe man was fatally stabbed Sunday in the aftermath of the West Indian Day Parade in Brooklyn, police said. (Sept. 3, 2012) Photo Credit: News 12

A Monroe man was fatally stabbed Monday in the aftermath of the West Indian Day Parade in Brooklyn, police said .

At 5:55 p.m., an unknown assailant stabbed 27-year-old Mallinckrodt Leandre in the neck at Eastern Parkway and Bedford Avenue, a New York City police spokeswoman said Tuesday. Leandre was taken to Kings County Hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

Leandre was the second man fatally stabbed after the annual parade, a colorful event celebrating Caribbean culture, which has been marred by violence in the past. In a separate incident Sunday, an unidentified 26-year-old man was killed on St. John's Place in Brooklyn.

Gabriel Hernandez of Brooklyn was arrested and charged with murder and criminal possession of a weapon in connection with that attack.

It wasn't immediately known if the 21-year-old suspect had a lawyer. The victim's name was withheld pending family notification.

Leandre's brother, 30-year-old Tooky Leandre, described his brother, who emigrated from Haiti 10 years ago, as someone who loved people.

"He was a very nice guy," he said. "Very humble."

Mallinckrodt Leandre had planned to go back to college in New Jersey in January, his brother said.

Funeral arrangements were pending, Tooky Leandre said.

In 2011, a bystander was killed by a stray bullet hours after the parade when police fired on an armed suspect.

"The plan for today is to have a peaceful event," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said after a pre-parade breakfast. "We have a lot of police officers deployed to make certain it's as peaceful and safe as it can be.:"

During last year's parade, City Council member Jumaane Williams was detained by police as he tried to walk along a closed street. Williams, who is black, said he was stopped because police unfairly target black and Hispanic men. The NYPD said he was temporarily detained to verify his identity.

"We're trying to have just a little bit less excitement than we had last year," Williams said shortly before this year's parade. "But we're still going to have a good time."

About 20 Occupy Wall Street protesters were told they had to leave the parade in the middle of the route because they did not have a permit. They ended up briefly standing off to the side of the street surrounded by police officers.

Jackie DiSalvo, a Baruch College professor, said Occupy had been invited to march alongside the transit workers' union.

Police later agreed to let the Occupy protesters back onto the route, but they were forced to relinquish their banners and signs.

With The Associated Press

More news

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to Newsday is free for Optimum customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.