Transit officials Monday announced that digging of one of the tunnels for the Second Avenue Subway has been completed and that the boring machine will start plowing away on a second tunnel for the project this spring.
Here are some big numbers about the dig:
• 7,612: Number of feet mined to complete digging of first tunnel.
• 485: Number of tons the boring machine weighs.
• 450: Length in feet of the machine.
• 2016: Estimated completion year of the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway project.
• $4.4 billion: Cost of completion of the first phase, which would create three new stations on Second Avenue at 96th, 86th and 72nd Streets.