TODAY'S PAPER
55° Good Morning
55° Good Morning
NewsNew York

MTA resumes blasting under Second Ave., promises less dust

A construction worker hoses down a tunnel boring

A construction worker hoses down a tunnel boring machine under Second Ave. in September (Marc Beja) Photo Credit: A construction worker hoses down a tunnel boring machine under Second Ave. in September (Marc Beja)

It could be the second coming of the dust and din.

The MTA resumed blasting underneath Second Avenue Monday as it continues work on the long-awaited subway line that will ultimately run from East Harlem to the Financial District.

Complaints among Upper East Side residents about excessive dust and safety concerns prompted the agency to temporarily halt the blasts a few weeks ago.

MTA capital construction chief Michael Horodniceanu met with neighbors last week to explain changes made to try to reduce the dust, which include setting off smaller blasts, spraying extra water and using a curtain to soak it up.

Horodniceanu said he would give public tours of the construction site beginning next year.

The MTA says it’ll finish the first phase of the $4.45 billion project by December 2016, on time and on schedule, though federal officials say it may not be ready for more than a year after that, with an additional cost of $400 million.


Follow reporter Marc Beja on Twitter: @marc_beja

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news