Rhode Island police warned the Navy last month that suspected Washington gunman Aaron Alexis had reported “hearing voices,” while the U.S. government Tuesday said it will review security worldwide at military bases.
More details emerged about the history of misconduct and mental illness of the 34-year-old government contractor with a security clearance who shot dead 12 people at the U.S. Navy Yard on Monday morning, before police killed him in a gun battle.
A Newport, Rhode Island, police report said Alexis complained on Aug. 7 about “hearing voices” and of people sending “vibrations to his body” to prevent him from sleeping.
The Newport police report said authorities warned Navy police after the incident, adding that naval police said they would “follow up on this subject and determine if he is in fact a naval base contractor.”
In the wake of the latest mass shooting in the United States and questions about security at guarded buildings, U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel planned to order a review of physical security and access at all Defense Department installations worldwide, a senior Pentagon official said.
The White House also said it will review standards for federal government contractors a day after Alexis opened fire on employees at the base, which is a mile and a half from the U.S. Capitol and three miles from the White House.
The discharged serviceman gained access to work at the Navy Yard as an information technology contractor with a private company.
The top-level revisions were prompted by questions about how Alexis was able to receive a “secret”-level clearance despite three run-ins with the law and a record of misconduct in the Navy when he was a reservist.