In response to Wednesday’s fatal police shooting in the Bronx, the NYPD’s fleet of mobile command vehicles will be upgraded with bulletproof windows and doors, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced on Thursday.
The city will spend $1.3 million to retrofit the NYPD’s fleet of 72 mobile command vehicles, de Blasio said in a news release. His aides said in a series of Twitter posts that work will start “right away,” and is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
NYPD Officer Miosotis Familia, 48, was stationed inside a mobile command vehicle in the Fordham Heights neighborhood of the Bronx when she was shot to death at close-range by an ex-convict with a history of mental health issues.
Alexander Bonds opened fire on the security van early Wednesday morning before fleeing and being shot to death by police officers responding to the scene.
“Together, as we mourn the loss of Officer Familia, we are reminded of our sense of community and that the safety of our men and women in blue . . . is paramount,” de Blasio said in a statement.
NYPD Commissioner John O’Neill in a statement said: “We will continue to look at any additional measures the Department can take to protect those who protect us.”
The mobile command vehicles — comparable in size to a mid-size camper or motorhome — are parked throughout high-crime areas of the city. The vehicle in which Familia was shot had been stationed near East 183rd Street and Morris Avenue since March as part of an effort to establish a stronger police presence in the violence-plagued neighborhood.