61° Good Evening
61° Good Evening
NewsNew York

NYPD releases photo of suspect shot by officer in Brooklyn; alleged accomplice arrested

The NYPD is searching for Arthur Whaley, 25,

The NYPD is searching for Arthur Whaley, 25, of Brooklyn, who fled after sustaining a possible gunshot wound to his arm during a confrontation with police in Flatbush at about 4 a.m. on Friday, June 12, 2015. Whaley and an accomplice were allegedly stripping the tires off a 2015 Honda Fit on East 19 Street when plainclothes police intervened. Photo Credit: DCPI

The NYPD has charged a Brooklyn man and identified his alleged accomplice who was shot by a plainclothes police sergeant Friday morning as authorities investigated the theft of car tires.

Arthur Whaley, 25, of Brooklyn, has been on the run since 4 a.m. Friday, when he and Corey Prescod, 26, of 703 E. 37 St. in Brooklyn, were confronted by police as they allegedly stripped the tires off a 2015 Honda Fit on East 19 Street near Glenwood Road in Flatbush, the NYPD said.

Whaley was shot after he menaced the sergeant with a knife, police said. He is described as 5-foot-8 and 150 pounds with tattoos on his arms and a possible gunshot wound to his arm, police said.

Friday's shooting occurred after a sergeant from the 70th Precinct, on patrol in an unmarked car, encountered Whaley and Prescod removing the tires, police said. When the sergeant, who has not been identified, went to investigate, the men fled in two vehicles, police said.

The sergeant remained at the scene while two plainclothes officers attempted to follow the suspects, authorities said.

Whaley and Prescod returned to the scene shortly thereafter in another vehicle to retrieve items and parts left behind but were confronted again by the sergeant, police said.

The suspects drove off but struck a parked car along East 19 Street, police said.

The sergeant then pulled up next to the suspect's car, exited his vehicle and ordered Whaley and Prescod to remain in the vehicle, the NYPD said.

Whaley ignored the order and exited the vehicle from the front passenger window, then pulled a knife on the sergeant, police said. The sergeant directed Whaley to drop the knife. When the suspect disregarded the warning, the sergeant fired a single shot from his service weapon, police said, that struck Whaley.

Whaley then fled from the scene.

Prescod was taken into custody and charged with grand larceny, criminal possession of stolen property, petty larceny and auto stripping.

The sergeant was taken to King County Hospital, where he was treated for tinnitus.


We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news