The New York City Police Department Monday announced the results of a safety initiative conducted in all five boroughs that focused on cell phone use while driving and failure to yield to pedestrians.
A total of 5,258 summonses were issued during last week's initiative, according a department release. The initiative is a part of the department's effort to reduce accidents that cause death and injury to pedestrians, the release said.
The initiative was conducted on Tuesday, May 13 and Friday, May 16, for a 24-hour period each day.
Summonses issued included use of a cellphone while operating a motor vehicle, 2,938; failure to yield to pedestrians, 1,254; and texting while operating a motor vehicle, 1,066.
Year-to-date pedestrian deaths have decreased 30.16 percent, police officials said in the release.