You probably won’t be amazed to hear that Broadway’s “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" is being postponed … again!
The opening night has already been rescheduled several times for the $65 million spectacle and had been last set for Jan. 11. Ticketmaster is listing that performance as canceled, and a New York Times report quotes sources as saying the opening has been delayed until "sometime in February."
It will be pushed back yet again in order to allow Julie Taymor and her creative team more time to fix what is currently being considered a flawed and problematic show.
“Spider-Man” has now been slinging its web on Broadway in previews for three weeks to near-capacity crowds.
The rumors of another delay began when David Garfinkle, one of the show’s producers, told The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday that the opening date “will likely be pushed again.”
On Thursday afternoon, Ticketmaster listed the Jan. 11 performance, which is still the tentative opening, as canceled entirely.
As of 2 P.M. Thursday, the show's press office had not responded to several inquiries for comment.
Reeve Carney, who plays Spider-Man, has told well-wishers at the stage door that changes are still being planned for the plot, which is supposedly still in shambles, and a new aerial fight sequence utilizing the entire theater will be added as a finale.
Natalie Mendoza, who suffered a concussion at the show’s first preview, finally returned to the role of Arachne on Wednesday night.