TODAY'S PAPER
50° Good Afternoon
50° Good Afternoon
NewsNew York

Plea talks in New York terror bomb case

A file photo of Jose Pimentel in Manhattan

A file photo of Jose Pimentel in Manhattan Criminal Court on Nov. 20, 2011. Photo Credit: Jefferson Siegel

Prosecutors Monday got a postponement in the terrorism case against Jose Pimentel to give them time to pursue plea negotiations.

Pimentel, 27, was charged last year by the Manhattan district attorney and the NYPD with attempting to build a bomb, but the FBI declined to take part in the case because of concerns about the role played by a police informant.

Prosecutor Jeffrey Fields said the delay until March 1 will allow his office to explore a plea deal with the defense or obtain a grand jury indictment.

Pimentel is charged with conspiracy and weapons possession in State Supreme Court in Manhattan.

Defense lawyer Lori Cohen said the discussions so far were routine, and prosecutors have made no firm offer of reduced charges. Pimentel, of Manhattan, was arrested in November and is being held without bail.

Police said he was an al-Qaida sympathizer who had purchased bomb components and started to put a bomb together. He allegedly planned to try to attack soldiers, police and other government targets.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news