Wayward strength coach Sal Alosi may never find his way back to the Jets after the latest twist in the saga of last week’s knee-jerk tripping of Miami special teamer Nolan Carroll.
Just two days after the Jets suspended him without pay until the end of the season, the organization turned that into an indefinite suspension when its internal investigation revealed he had told non-uniformed players to form a human wall close to the sideline.
The 33-year-old Alosi may well lose his job. General manager Mike Tannenbaum told reporters Wednesday that “I’m very disappointed in what’s happened. All options are certainly on the table.”
The lengthening of the suspension comes in the wake of former Miami linebacker Zack Thomas’ radio assertion Wednesday that Alosi was well aware of what he did, despite Alosi’s claims of a momentary lapse in sanity.
“They had to be ordered to stand there because they’re foot-to-foot,” Thomas said. “There’s [five] of them, on the edge of the coach’s box. They’re only out there to restrict the space of the gunner.
“There’s more to this. He was ordered to stand there. No one is foot-to-foot on the sideline in the coach’s box. That’s why he didn’t get fired. There was somebody that ordered that for the sideline.”
That person, according to the Jets’ investigation, was Alosi himself.
Tannenbaum said he immediately went to the league with the information, and a final determination on Alosi’s job status will be made after the NFL conducts its own investigation.
Tannenbaum said no action will be taken against the players. He also found no involvement from special teams coach Mike Westhoff, who issued a statement Tuesday distancing himself from the issue, and Rex Ryan, who proclaimed his innocence Monday.
“On Tuesday, we talked to the players involved,” Tannenbaum said. “They were instructed by Sal throughout the game. But specifically when Miami was punting, they were asked to stand there by him.”