Broken Clouds 45° Good Evening
Broken Clouds 45° Good Evening
NewsNew York

Source: 2nd motorcyclist turns himself in over beating

Bikers attack a Range Rover as a dispute

Bikers attack a Range Rover as a dispute transpires between the driver and dozens of motorcyclists on the Upper West Side in Manhattan. (Sept. 29, 2013) Photo Credit: YouTube

A second motorcyclist allegedly involved in Sunday's Manhattan melee, which led to the beating of an SUV driver and crippling injuries to another biker, turned himself in to police Tuesday for questioning.

Allan Edwards, 42, of Jamaica, voluntarily went to the 113th Precinct in Queens, according a law enforcement official who didn't want to be named. Edwards, who was to be taken to the 33rd Precinct in Manhattan for questioning, had not been charged as of late Tuesday.

"I don't know anything," said a woman who answered the telephone at Edwards' home, though she acknowledged he had gone to talk with police.

One of the bikers, Christopher Cruz of New Jersey, has been arrested on charges of reckless endangerment and other offenses in the case, which led to the assault of the Range Rover driver who police said had run over another motorcyclist on West Side Drive. Part of the incident was recorded by a helmet camera worn by one of the bikers.

Edwards was seen in one of the frames of video striking the Range Rover, the law enforcement official said.

The group of bikers were involved in what police Commissioner Ray Kelly called a "stunt" in which the riders ultimately try to get into Times Square to rally. Sunday's group did not make it into Times Square, as they had a year ago, Kelly said.

The NYPD said they are intensely investigating the incident, which left biker Edwin Mieses, 32, of Massachusetts in St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in critical condition. He was intubated, and had multiple injuries, including two broken legs.

The case has also raised questions about whether the SUV driver, identified in numerous news reports as Alexian Lien, bears any legal responsibility for what happened.

"I am not going to say at this juncture, the investigation is ongoing," Kelly said Tuesday when asked about the case and other possible charges.

Kelly said Lien, of lower Manhattan, who had stopped his vehicle after hitting one of the bikers, was cooperating with investigators. After stopping, Lien's black Range Rover was surrounded by angry bikers, who pummeled his car with their helmets and slashed one of his tires, police said.

Lien, whose wife and daughter were in the SUV, drove about 4 miles north on the Henry Hudson Parkway to the 178th Street exit. There he was surrounded on a side street by the pursuing bikers, who took him out of the SUV and beat him, Kelly said. Lien received stitches at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center on Sunday. His wife and daughter were not hurt.

Neither Lien nor his family could be reached Tuesday for comment. Mieses family also couldn't be reached.

More news