Subway service has been restored between Brooklyn and Manhattan for the first time since shutting down last Sunday in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy, officials said Saturday Morning.
No. 4 and 5 trains began traveling from Manhattan to Brooklyn at 10 a.m. Saturday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and MTA Chief Joe Lhota announced at a news conference that began a few minutes later. No. 6 trains also resumed full service, as did No. 7 train service from Flushing to Manhattan.
Lhota said more subway service was expected to resume later today on the D, F, M and J trains later in the day. The A line was scheduled to start up again on Monday morning, he said, but massive flooding in the L trains' tunnels meant service on the line wouldn't resume until later this week.
Subway service resumed on Thursday for the first time since the storm crippled the mass transit system, though all lines ended by 34th Street because there was no electricity for much of Lower Manhattan. Con Edison restored power in Manhattan by Saturday morning, Cuomo said.
The MTA had been running "bus bridges" to take passengers from Brooklyn to Manhattan, since there was no service connecting the boroughs. Thousands of commuters waited for hours on hectic lines on Thursday and Friday to take those overcrowded buses.
After announcing the service restorations, Lhota said he hoped the agency "will never have to do a bus bridge ever again."