CAIRO, N.Y. — New York State Police are investigating a propane explosion that destroyed a house in the Catskills and left a man with severe burns over most of his body.
The blast leveled a house in the town of Cairo at 4:40 p.m. Saturday.
Police believe the explosion was sparked when the house’s sole occupant tried to light the propane heater’s pilot light.
They say he accidentally ignited accumulated propane within the house.
The 62-year-old man suffered burns to 80 to 90 percent of his body. He was flown to Westchester Medical Center in critical condition.
Cairo is in Greene County about 125 miles north of New York City.