TODAY'S PAPER
54° Good Morning
54° Good Morning
NewsRegion/State

FireGel yanked from shelves after injuries

A jellylike fuel made for ceramic firepots has been yanked from store shelves after a pair of explosions severely injured three people in New York State.

Michael Hubbard, a 14-year-old Riverhead boy, nearly burned to death after a bottle of FireGel exploded in his backyard on May 28. He remains hospitalized in grave condition.

One June 3, a New York City man nearly died and a friend was burned after a similar explosion.

Both accidents happened while people were trying to add fuel to pots that were already lit.

Gel manufacturer Napa Home & Garden asked retailer Bed Bath & Beyond to pull the products after inquiries from The New York Times.

The company says it plans to add new warning labels highlighting the danger if someone tries to refill pots that are hot.-- AP

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

More news