TODAY'S PAPER
Good Evening
Good Evening
NewsRegion/State

Oneonta dorm fire blamed on power strip

ONEONTA -- Authorities say a fire that displaced nearly 180 students living in a SUNY Oneonta dormitory was sparked by the improper use of a power strip.

Oneonta officials said yesterday that the fire started around 4 p.m. Wednesday in a bedroom in a third-floor suite in Matteson Hall.

Officials say the 177 residents of the dorm all got out safely from the four-story building. The fire was under control in less than an hour.

College officials say inspectors determined the building is structurally sound but will remain closed while repairs are made. No estimate of when students could return is available.

The American Red Cross was assisting displaced students housed in Chase Gymnasium until other accommodations could be arranged. -- AP

State & Region