Brookhaven and Hempstead town officials said Wednesday they would open a total of 21 warming centers as temperatures were forecast to dip into the single digits early Thursday.
Hempstead officials said 16 warming centers would be open from Wednesday through Friday. Brookhaven planned to open five centers from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Thursday and Friday.
"The Town of Hempstead strongly urges residents who do not have access to adequate heat to seek shelter at one of the town's 16 warming centers this week," Supervisor Kate Murray said in a news release. "Excessive cold temperatures can be dangerous for anyone, especially seniors, who may have a hard time regulating their body temperature."
Brookhaven Supervisor Edward P. Romaine said centers would have televisions, DVDs, board games, coffee and tea. They are at the following locations:
* Rose Caracappa Senior Center, 739 Route 25A, Mount Sinai;
* Mastic Recreation Center, 15 Herkimer St., Mastic;
* Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center, 39 Montauk Hwy., Blue Point;
* St. Michaels Recreation Center, 100 Wilson Ave., Gordon Heights;
* New Village Recreation Center, 20 Wireless Rd., Centereach.
Hempstead warming centers will be open at the following locations from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday:
* Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 N. Grand Ave., Baldwin;
* Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Ave., Bellmore;
* Cedarhurst Seniors in the Park, 200 Cedarhurst Ave., Cedarhurst (open until 4:30 p.m.);
* East Meadow Senior Center, 1485 Front St., East Meadow;
* Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Rd., Elmont;
* Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square;
* Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Rd., Valley Stream;
* Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Rd., Levittown;
* Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Rd., Merrick;
* Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave., Oceanside;
* Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Tpke., Roosevelt;
* Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Dr., Westbury;
* Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale;
* Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Ave., Uniondale;
* Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Rd., Wantagh.
In addition, the Hempstead Senior Center, 260 Clinton St., Hempstead, will be open on Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
With Rosemary Olander