65° Good Morning
65° Good Morning

Long Island weather: May starts with cool, wet week, experts says

Spring doesn’t seem ready to commit.

Just when Long Islanders were getting used to a pattern of dry and mostly sunny, if not somewhat cool days, they found themselves grabbing for that umbrella again Sunday.

According to meteorologists, after a sunny and cool Saturday, rain and chilly temperatures are forecast for this week.

“May is starting out how you think April would,” News 12 Long Island meteorologist Matt Hammer said Sunday. “Today is the marathon and the Ducks and Mets baseball game and it doesn’t look good.”

Hammer said Sunday “will be rainy, raw, chilly and breezy with a high of about 50.”

Brian Ciemnecki, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service at Upton, had one word for this week — “crummy.”

“It’s going to be pretty wet,” he said. “We probably won’t see any sun today.”

Ciemnecki said rain — though “nothing significant” — will linger Sunday and basically be the pattern up until at least next weekend.

“There won’t be a lot of rain, but there’ll pretty much be rain every day,” Ciemnecki said.

Sunday’s highs are expected to be in the upper 40s to lower 50s with rain continuing into the night when lows are predicted in the upper 40s.

“The rain could become drizzly after midnight, then Monday there’s a 50 percent chance of rain with highs in the 50s,” Ciemnecki said. Patchy drizzle will be likely at night when temperatures will be in the upper 40s.

Tuesday, the chance of rain increases to 70 percent with temperatures in the 50s and varying across the Island, Ciemnecki said. Look for patchy drizzle at night when the chance of rain is 30 percent and lows are forecast in the 40s.

“Wednesday could be partly sunny,” Ciemnecki said, but that doesn’t mean the precipitation is gone. “There’s a chance of drizzle in the morning and highs in the 50s to lower 60s. A 50 percent chance of rain is expected at night when lows dip to the mid to upper 40s.”

Thursday, highs will be in the lower 50s to 60s again but the showers return as well.

“There’s a 40 percent chance all day and a 30 percent chance at night when lows will be in the upper 40s to around 50,” Ciemnecki said.

Partly sunny skies greet the weekend on Friday, but there’s a 30 percent chance of showers during the day. Nighttime lows are forecast in the 40s.

Ciemnecki said normal highs for this time of year are 63 and 64.

More news