Skies expected to clear for Sunday, Monday

People leave the beach after the cancellation of

People leave the beach after the cancellation of the Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach State Park in Wantagh. (May 25, 2012) Photo Credit: Ed Betz

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Memorial Day Weekend started off wet and breezy -- for the first time canceling Saturday's Bethpage Air Show at Jones Beach -- but better weather is on the way, the National Weather Service says.

Today's high in Islip should hit 53 degrees, said Joe Pollina, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Upton. An 80 percent chance of rain continues throughout Saturday, with a 20 percent chance Saturday night -- but Sunday and Monday will be dry, he said.

advertisement | advertise on newsday

Temperatures on Saturday will stay in the range of the low 50s on the Twin Forks to the mid-50s in Nassau County, the service said. Across Long Island on Saturday night, temperatures will fall to the mid-40s. By comparison, the service says the normal high for this date in Islip is 70 degrees; the low is 53 degrees.

Saturday will continue to be breezy, with northwesterly winds between 20 and 25 mph. The National Weather Service issued a wind advisory starting at 4 p.m. Saturday afternoon, and lasting until midnight. Joey Picca, a meteorologist for the service, cited winds between 20 and 30 mph, with gusts up to 50 mph.

On Saturday night winds will slow to between 15 and 20 mph.

Sunday, said Pollino, will be "dry and partly sunny" with highs in the 60s. Overnight, he added, "it will still be pretty chilly," averaging in the 40s across Long Island and the upper 30s in the pine barrens.

On Memorial Day, expect a high of 73, with temperatures falling to the lower 50s across Long Island later Monday.

Comments now uses Facebook for our comment boards. Please read our guidelines and connect your Facebook account to comment.

You also may be interested in: