TODAY'S PAPER
54° Good Afternoon
54° Good Afternoon
NewsWorld

An editor of British tabloid arrested

LONDON -- Detectives investigating phone hacking and police bribery at defunct British tabloid the News of the World Tuesday arrested the newspaper's former managing editor, police and British media said.

He is the latest in a string of executives to be questioned about wrongdoing at the Rupert Murdoch-owned newspaper.

The Metropolitan Police said a 71-year-old man had been arrested by appointment yesterday morning at a London police station. They did not name him, in keeping with the British police practice of not identifying suspects who have not been charged.

Sky News, which is 39 percent owned by the newspaper's parent company, News Corp., identified him as former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner. Kuttner retired in 2009 after 29 years at the News of the World, 22 of them as managing editor.

News International -- Murdoch's British newspaper division -- would not confirm the arrested man's identity.

The man was questioned on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications -- phone hacking -- and on suspicion of corruption, which relates to claims that journalists bribed police officers for information. He was released on bail a few hours later pending further questioning later this month, police said.

Detectives investigating claims the newspaper illegally eavesdropped on the phone messages of celebrities, politicians and even crime victims have previously arrested 10 people, including Murdoch's former British newspaper chief Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, an ex-News of the World editor who went on to be Prime Minister David Cameron's communications chief.

Coulson was the paper's editor when royal reporter Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire were arrested and jailed in 2007 for hacking the phones of royal staff. The newspaper claimed for years that hacking was limited to those two rogue staff, but have now admitted it was more widespread.

All those arrested have been released on bail and no one has yet been charged.

Murdoch closed down the 168-year-old News of the World last month in an attempt to contain the scandal, which has forced him to abandon a bid for full control of British Sky Broadcasting and accept the resignations of two top executives.

Comments

We're revamping our Comments section. Learn more and share your input.

News Photos and Videos