60° Good Evening
60° Good Evening

French commando killed in Somalia raid

MOGADISHU, Somalia -- A raid to free a French intelligence agent held captive in Somalia for three years left 17 Islamists and at least one French commando dead in a mud-caked farming town deep in militant territory.

In the chaotic aftermath of the firefight, the hostage's fate was unclear Saturday. The Islamists denied French claims that he was killed and said they had a new prisoner -- a wounded French soldier.

The botched rescue in East Africa came the same day French airstrikes in the West African nation of Mali targeted resurgent rebel Islamists. French officials said the two operations were unrelated, but stepped up domestic counterterror measures to protect public places and transportation networks.

Confusion surrounded early reports of the failed rescue of the French agent code-named Denis Allex. He was captured in Somalia on July 14, 2009 -- Bastille Day -- and last seen in an October video pleading for the French president to help him.

But it was clear that the raid the French defense minister said was planned with the utmost of care ran into serious problems from the moment the helicopters swooped in.

"This operation could not be achieved despite the sacrifice of two of our soldiers and doubtless the murder of our hostage," French President Francois Hollande said in a grim nationwide broadcast. "But this operation confirms the determination of France not to give in to blackmail by terrorists."

French Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Allex was killed by his captors and that one French soldier was missing and one dead, along with 17 Islamists. The Defense Ministry earlier said two commandos were killed in the fighting in the Somali town of Bulomarer, a small farming community under Islamist control for four years.

"It was an extremely dangerous mission," Le Drian said. "Everything indicates Denis Allex was killed."

The militant Islamist group al-Shabab, which had held Allex, said Saturday that he remained alive and in its custody, as was a new captive -- a French commando wounded in the fighting. There are also seven French hostages in Mali.

Residents of Bulomarer described hearing explosions and gunfire from what they called an al-Shabab base. An al-Shabab official said that fighting began after helicopters dropped off French soldiers.

"Five helicopters attacked a house in the town. They dropped soldiers off on the ground so that they could reach their destination," he said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

The chief of staff of the French armed forces, Adm. Edouard Guillaud, said France had exhausted every other way to free Allex.

News Photos and Videos