JERUSALEM - Israel's foreign minister claimed Wednesday that Iran is about to send two warships through the Suez Canal for the first time in years, calling it a "provocation," but he offered no evidence. The Egyptian authority that runs the canal denied it.
Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said the ships would cross en route to Syria. "This is a provocation that proves that Iranian audacity and insolence are increasing," he said in a statement.
Ahmed el-Manakhli, head of Egypt's canal operations room, denied the claim, saying warships must get permission 48 hours before crossing, and "so far, we have not been notified."
Israeli security officials said they have known of Iranian ship movements for some time and expect the warships to arrive at the canal today. - AP