41° Good Evening
41° Good Evening

Israelis fly to Egypt for talks on Gaza



The Associated Press

GAZA CITY -- Israeli officials flew to Cairo Thursday for talks on easing a blockade on Gaza, while Hamas leaders and thousands of flag-waving supporters declared victory on its first day of calm under an Egyptian-brokered truce.

Eight days of Israeli airstrikes on Gaza and a barrage of Hamas rocket fire on Israel ended inconclusively. Israel said it inflicted heavy damage on the militants, while Gaza's Hamas rulers claimed that Israel's decision not to send in ground troops, as it had four years ago, was a sign of a new deterrent power.

The mood in Israel was mixed. Some were grateful that quiet had been restored without a ground operation. Others -- particularly those in southern Israel hit by rockets over the past 13 years -- thought the operation was abandoned too quickly.

Thousands of Israeli soldiers who had been sent to the border during the fighting withdrew yesterday, the military said.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the offensive's aims of halting Gaza rocket fire and weakening Hamas were achieved. "I know there are citizens who were expecting a harsher response," he said, adding that Israel is prepared to act if the cease-fire is violated.

Gaza Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas, who attended the rally, hailed a new day.

"Resistance fighters changed the rules of the game with the occupation, upset its [Israel's] calculations," he said later in a televised speech. "The option of invading Gaza after this victory is gone and will never return." Haniyeh urged Gaza fighters to respect the truce and to "guard this deal as long as Israel respects it."

In a development that could complicate cooperation on the cease-fire, Israel arrested an Arab-Israeli man connected to Hamas and Islamic Jihad on accusations he planted a bomb on a bus in Tel Aviv that wounded 27 people in the hours before the agreement was announced Wednesday, police said.

A Palestinian militant cell based in the West Bank village of Beit Lakiya dispatched the man to put a bomb on the bus, police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said. He got off and called his handlers, who remotely detonated the explosive, Rosenfeld said. "He admitted to carrying out the terrorist attack," said Rosenfeld, who declined to name the man.

Attacks by Israeli Arabs are rare, though they have happened in the past.

Nevertheless, the cease-fire raised hopes of a new era between Israel and Hamas.

A senior Israeli official and three aides arrived in Cairo late Thursday and were escorted to Egypt's intelligence headquarters, according to Egyptian airport officials, presumably to hammer out the details of a deal that would include easing a blockade of the territory.

News Photos and Videos