JOHANNESBURG -- A family feud over the burial site of three of Nelson Mandela's children intensified Tuesday when criminal charges were filed against one of his grandsons, as the ailing 94-year-old former president remained hospitalized in critical condition.
Sixteen relatives have taken grandson Mandla Mandela to court after he reburied the children's remains in Mandela's birthplace of Mvezo in 2011. The Mandela relatives claim Mandla Mandela had not sought permission or even informed family members when he did so.
The revered statesman has long said that he wants to be buried in Qunu, where his children were buried in the family plot.
Mandla Mandela moved the children's remains to Mvezo, where he plans to open a hotel.
Arguments were heard Tuesday over a court order calling for the bodies to be returned to Qunu; the case was adjourned until Wednesday.
Meanwhile, police said criminal charges of "tampering with a grave" have been pressed against Mandla Mandela over the exhumation of the three bodies.
"A case is opened at the police station and we will now investigate that case," said police Lt. Col. Mzukisi Fatyela, who declined to reveal who pressed the charges.
Nelson Mandela was taken to a Pretoria hospital on June 8 for a recurring lung infection. Since then, there has been a groundswell of concern in South Africa and around the world for the man who spent 27 years as a prisoner under apartheid and then emerged to negotiate an end to white racist rule before becoming president.
Authorities also announced that former President F.W. de Klerk, who shared the 1993 Nobel Peace Prize with Mandela, was fitted with a pacemaker on Tuesday. De Klerk is the last leader of South Africa's apartheid era and freed Mandela from prison before going on to serve as his deputy president.