PHILIPPINES / Flood death toll nearly 1,500
The death toll from flash floods that swept away entire villages in the southern Philippines has climbed to nearly 1,500 as authorities widen their search for bodies. The Office of Civil Defense's latest tally Tuesday listed 891 dead in Cagayan de Oro and an additional 451 in nearby Iligan city. The rest came from several other provinces. Most of the dead are unidentified. Civil Defense head Benito Ramos says decomposing remains were retrieved floating in the sea as far as 60 miles from the two cities where a Dec. 16 tropical storm unleashed more than a month's worth of rainfall in 12 hours, sending walls of water gushing into homes. Ramos says the search will continue as long as bodies are being recovered.
PAKISTAN / U.S. seeks border map aid
The head of the U.S. Central Command is urging Pakistan to share a map of its facilities and installations near the Afghan border to help avert episodes like the one that killed 24 Pakistani forces last month. U.S. Marine Gen. James Mattis, the commander, said in a statement Monday the chief lesson from the strike was "that we must improve border coordination and this requires a foundational level of trust on both sides of the border." He told the Allied commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Allen, to develop steps to prevent "friendly fire" incidents and share them with Pakistan's military when possible. The orders were disclosed on the Central Command's website along with a 30-page report of the U.S. military's findings on the Nov. 25-26 nighttime airstrike that deeply angered Pakistan.
ENGLAND / Philip's hospital 'progress'
Britain's Prince Philip spent a fourth night in a hospital Monday, recovering from treatment for a blocked coronary artery. Queen Elizabeth II's 90-year-old husband is making "good progress" but will remain under observation at Papworth, a specialist heart hospital in Cambridge, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said, giving no details on when Philip may be released.